2 years after Esidimeni, SANC and HPCSA yet to act

Organisation: Position: Deadline Date: Location:

Two years after the Life Esidimeni tragedy not a single professional body has taken steps against professionals involved in the project, a Beeld report notes. Health Ombudsman Malegapuru Makgoba recommended on 1 February last year that professional bodies should take appropriate steps against those implicated.

The SA Nursing Council says they are still awaiting information from the department of health to continue with a case against Dr Makgabo Manamela, former director of mental health in Gauteng. “We view the matter in a very serious light,” said spokesperson Adri van Eeden.

The report says she could not confirm whether Manamela’s deputy, Hannah Jacobus, and former chair of the Gauteng review board on mental health Dumi Masondo were reported to the council.

The Health Professions Council (HPCSA) says it received a complaint from the Ombud’s office on 17 December last year against Dr Barney Selebano. Spokesperson Fezile Sifunda says in the report that Selebano’s preliminary was held on 12 October and the investigation committee referred the matter to the professional conduct investigation team to ascertain whether there is a prima facie case of unprofessional conduct.

Beeld report (subscription needed)

Receive Medical Brief's free weekly e-newsletter



Related Posts

Thank you for subscribing to MedicalBrief


MedicalBrief is Africa’s premier medical news and research weekly newsletter. MedicalBrief is published every Thursday and delivered free of charge by email to over 33 000 health professionals.

Please consider completing the form below. The information you supply is optional and will only be used to compile a demographic profile of our subscribers. Your personal details will never be shared with a third party.


Thank you for taking the time to complete the form.