Medical Officers x 2 vacancies are available at our Client, Wits Health Consortium’s Vaccines and Infectious Diseases Analytics Research Unit (VIDA) in Soweto, Johannesburg – Gauteng.
The Vaccines and Infectious Diseases Analytics (VIDA) Research Unit of the University of the Witwatersrand, formerly RMPRU (Respiratory and Meningeal Pathogens Research Unit) has for over 20 years conducted numerous studies to assess the burden of and to prevent vaccine-preventable diseases (VPD).
Current studies and projects include infant rotavirus and BCG trials, immunizing pregnant women to protect their infants against disease (including influenza, Group B streptococcus, and respiratory syncytial virus), and the Child Health and Mortality Prevention Surveillance (CHAMPS) initiatives.
In 2020, VIDA commenced two international trials on COVID-19 vaccines amongst several other COVID-19 studies. World Health Organization position papers directly refer to the work conducted by RMPRU and have used such data generated to inform policy and recommendations for vaccine implementation globally and here in South Africa.
By combining clinical, microbiological, and epidemiological expertise in an African setting, the unit has made significant contributions in vaccine development against the leading respiratory and enteric pathogens contributing to under-5 childhood morbidity and mortality in Africa and other low and middle-income countries.
VIDA aims to continue to save lives, especially children, across Africa and low and middle-income countries, through leading and pioneering research in the field of vaccines and infectious diseases.
Main purpose of the job:
- To manage and lead the clinical trial team and research activities and to provide health care to patients participating in clinical trials according to study protocols.
- VIDA – Chris Hani Baragwanath Academic Hospital
Key performance areas
- Plan, implement and complete the clinical research activities for the clinical trials in accordance with Good Clinical Practice and Standard Operating Procedures
- Perform study – related procedures, blood draws and nasopharyngeal aspirates/swabs on infants, young children and adults including pregnant woman
- Strategic review and management of clinical trials i.e. devising systems and processes to ensure effective and efficient study conduct
- SAE and Endpoint data reporting
- Quality assurance of the study file source data, i.e. clinical source notes and CRF’s
- Staff Management and training
- Writing of protocols and submissions to Ethics committee
Required minimum education and training
- MBChB/MBBCh degree
Professional Body Registration
- Medical Protection Society membership
Desirable additional education, work experience and personal abilities
- Clinical trials experience, including protocol development, IRB Submissions, Trial planning and set-up
- Good Clinical Practice
- Computer literacy in MS Word and MS Excel
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team
- Attention to detail, Motivated, Organised, Friendly, Professional
Required minimum work experience
- Completed community service, at least 6 months in paediatrics unit
- Only if you do meet the minimum job requirements and experience as mentioned above, you may submit a detailed updated CV – Please Apply Online – www.ajpersonnel.co.za or email CV to email@example.com
- Please take note that the applicants who do not adhere to the above criteria will not be considered for the respective position.
- The closing date for all applications is 31 March 2021.
- Wits Health Consortium will only respond to shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date can consider their applications to be unsuccessful.
- In accordance with our Employment Equity goals and plan, preference will be given to suitable applicants from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments thereto.
Please note that AJ PERSONNEL is only responsible for the advertising of the advertisement on behalf of their client Wits Health Consortium.
AJ Personnel does not have any salary or other information regarding the position