MASIPHUMELELE; FISH HOEK
The Desmond Tutu Health Foundation (DTHF) is a registered non-profit organisation focused on the pursuit of excellence in research, treatment, training and prevention of HIV and related infections in Southern Africa.
We have fantastic job opportunities across our businesses for talented people wanting to realize their full potential. Could that be you? If so, we invite you to explore the possibility of joining us to play your part in Desmond Tutu Health Foundations’ exciting future.
The Medical Officer will be responsible to render efficient and effective clinical care to volunteers on research studies and clients at the Youth Centre.
- MBChB or equivalent and HPCSA registered
- At least 2 years’ experience (post internship) in a clinical environment
- Keen interest in research especially infectious diseases
- Computer skills (Email, Microsoft word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Valid divers license and own transport preferable
- Excellent Communication (verbal and written) skills
- Excellent ability to build interpersonal relationships
- Strong client focus
- Ability to work in a team and independently
- Strong work ethic
- Detail oriented and capable of completing study documentation legibly and accurately
- Willing to work in an environment where most of the participants are healthy volunteers with only minor ailments
- Willing to take clinical admin tasks as a significant part of the job
- Willing to work with COVID patients
- Willing to work flexible hours and weekends if required
- Clinical Trial experience
- Working experience in a research environment
- Knowledge and understanding of study protocol
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support/ Basic Life Support (ACLS/BLS) certificate
- Good Clinical Practice (GCP) certificate
Values fit: Passion Innovation Progress Integrity Respect Excellence
- Clinically assess, examine, diagnose and manage the health of participants and Youth Centre Clients
- Complete prescriptions of pharmaceuticals appropriately.
- Monitor clinical examinations and procedures undertaken by study nurses when necessary
- Manage accountability and adherence monitoring of study drugs
- Refer participants to other clinical care as required.
- Consult with other clinical and research staff when necessary
- Assist in maintaining good clinic flow
- Ensure all research activities are performed according to SAHPRA, the Declaration of Helsinki, International Conference On Harmonisation (ICH) Good Clinical Practice Guidelines and other relevant legislation.
- Recruit, screen and enroll participants as per protocol-specific inclusion/exclusion requirements
- Ensure informed consent is obtained for all participants as per Standard Operating Procedures
- Manage participants with Adverse Events or Expedited Adverse Events and report as per protocol requirements
- Perform other protocol specific procedures when necessary (endoscopy, counselling, swabs, biopsies, etc)
- Interpret and act on laboratory results
To apply, there is a two-step process:
- Complete the questionnaire by clicking on the link:
- Submit CV, motivation letter with certified copy of highest qualification and details of three (3) current contactable referees to: Attention HR Manager Jobs@hiv-research.org.za by 30th October 2020 and include the reference number: #DTHF/C025. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only applicants who have completed both applications steps, will be considered.
NB: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. We are committed to equity in our employment practices. It is our intention to appoint individuals with the aim of meeting our equity objectives. We reserve the right not to appoint if no suitable candidates are identified.
I understand and accept that, by applying for this role, I authorise Desmond Tutu Health Foundation in its capacity as employer, to access my personal information stored, and to utilise said information for recruitment purposes for this role.
This job may be removed before it expires.
If you have not heard from us within two weeks after the closing date please consider your application as unsuccessful.
Desmond Tutu Health Foundation is a child friendly organisation committed to the protection of children.
For more information about the organization please visit our website at www.desmondtutuhealthfoundation.org.za