A Professional Nurse (NIMART) – School-Based HIV and GBV Prevention Programme x 2 vacancy is available at our Client, Wits Health Consortium’s Reproductive Health and HIV Institute (RHI) in Hillbrow, Johannesburg – Gauteng.
The Wits Reproductive Health and HIV Institute (Wits RHI) is a renowned African-led research institute that seeks solutions to Africa’s health challenges.
It is located within the University of the Witwatersrand and addresses some of the greatest public health concerns affecting our region, including HIV and its related problems, sexual and reproductive health and vaccinology. This is done through pioneering, multi-disciplinary research; responsive technical support and innovation in health services; and evidence-based policy development and advocacy with national, regional and global stakeholders.
Main purpose of the job
- The main purpose of the professional nurse is to provide quality health services to young people
- Services focus on sexual and reproductive health, HIV prevention including PrEP and HIV testing services, and screening for gender-based violence, together with the management of minor ailments – as part of the Integrated School Health Programme
- The incumbent will support the achievement of the School HIV and GBV prevention programme’s targets and to this end, engage in ongoing quality improvement activities to ensure integrated, comprehensive services are rendered from community-based mobiles services, with a focus on adolescent girls and young women and at-risk young people
- Wits RHI – COJ
Key performance areas
- Screen clients for HIV in all services provided at the mobile clinic
- Initiate PrEP and monitor and manage clients according to DOH guidelines
- Ensure blood results are followed and appropriately managed
- Screen for TB, non-communicable diseases, gender-based and intimate partner violence and ensure appropriate referral after review
- Screen, diagnose and manage STIs and minor ailments as per PHC guidelines
- Manage referrals for HIV-positive clients for ART and other services not provided as part of the project’s package of care
- Provide contraceptive services for female clients
- Supervise lay HIV testing counselors and support outreach staff in reaching out to clients who miss appointments
- Assist the Clinical Mentor with the development of standard operation procedures, processes, and tools to support effective service delivery from the mobile clinic, including, for example, referral systems, infection control measures and the mobile rota
- Track progress towards targets and work with the line management and project team to meet targets
- Compile daily reports and disseminate them to the Clinical Mentor
- Assist Clinical Mentor with the management of pharmacy arrangements, drug management, stock control and the ordering of commodities
Required minimum education and training
- Relevant Nursing diploma or equivalent
- Registration with South African Nursing Council (SANC)
- Dispensing License (Preferable)
- NIMART registration
- PrEP training
- Code 10 License with PDP
Required minimum work experience
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in managing HIV and/or TB
- Experience in sexual and reproductive health (particularly contraception and STI management), and HIV prevention and management
- Sound technical knowledge of SRH, PEP, PrEP and HIV prevention
Desirable experience or ability
- Experience working with young people and strengthening youth-friendly services
- Working at the community level, and mobile service provision
- Knowledge of district health structures
- Experience working in a donor-funded organization/NGO or project-based environment
- Desirable to have experience working with schools and institutions of higher learning
- Only if you do meet the minimum job requirements and experience as mentioned above, you may submit a detailed updated CV – Please Apply Online – www.ajpersonnel.co.za or email CV to email@example.com
- Please take note that the applicants who do not adhere to the above criteria will not be considered for the respective position.
- The closing date for all applications is 05 March 2021.
- Wits Health Consortium will only respond to shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date can consider their applications to be unsuccessful.
- In accordance with our Employment Equity goals and plan, preference will be given to suitable applicants from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments thereto.
Please note that AJ PERSONNEL is only responsible for the advertising of the advertisement on behalf of their client Wits Health Consortium.
AJ Personnel does not have any salary or other information regarding the position.