Rwandan doctor murdered in Cape Town

Organisation: Position: Deadline Date: Location:

The body of a Rwandan doctor murdered in Cape Town is suspected to have lain undiscovered for up to 11 days. The Rwandan ambassador in South Africa‚ Vincent Karega‚ said in a report in The Times that the last time Raymond Dusabe‚ was in contact with the owner of the flat in Beach Road‚ Sea Point‚ was on 28 December via WhatsApp. The owner was in Canada for the holidays.

Western Cape Police spokesperson Sergeant Noloyiso Rwexana said after the discovery of the body on Monday a 29-year-old suspect had been arrested and is due to appear in the Cape Town Magistrate’s Court. A source said the man was arrested after the police flying squad traced Dusabe’s car‚ which was stolen when he was hit over the head with a blunt object in his flat. Karega said had no idea of the motive for the murder. “We really don’t know if he was tracked by somebody malicious. We have no clue.”

The report says Dusabe was a gynaecological oncologist who worked at King Faisal Hospital in Kigali. He was unmarried and was spending the holidays in Cape Town. Karega said said the alarm was raised by neighbours at Bantry Place who noticed a bad smell from the flat.

The Stellenbosch University website says Dusabe was Rwanda’s first gynaecological oncologist. He grew up as a refugee in Burundi after some of his family were killed in the 1994 Rwandan genocide. He returned to Rwanda in 1998 after completing high school and studied medicine at the National University of Rwanda before specialising in gynaecology at Stellenbosch.

He graduated with his Master of Medicine degree in 2014 before continuing his studies by specialising in gynaecology oncology.


A Congolese man has appeared briefly in the Cape Town Magistrate’s Court in connection with Dusabe’s death. The Times reports that Swahili speaking Junior Kamono from the Democratic Republic of Congo – dressed in red skinny jeans‚ a hoodie and basketball sneakers – told acting magistrate Joe Magele that he would conduct his defence in English. He was arrested after a police flying squad unit traced the doctor’s car.

The report quotes the Rwandan ambassador in South Africa‚ Vincent Karega‚ as saying that he had no idea about a possible motive for the murder. The doctor and his alleged attacker reportedly met in Sea Point in the hours leading up to the attack.

The Times report
The Times report

Receive Medical Brief's free weekly e-newsletter

Related Posts

Thank you for subscribing to MedicalBrief

MedicalBrief is Africa’s premier medical news and research weekly newsletter. MedicalBrief is published every Thursday and delivered free of charge by email to over 33 000 health professionals.

Please consider completing the form below. The information you supply is optional and will only be used to compile a demographic profile of our subscribers. Your personal details will never be shared with a third party.

Thank you for taking the time to complete the form.