Groote Schuur Hospital says that its services will continue as usual following a fire at the institution, reports Eyewitness News. It is still not known how the fire broke out in the general ward section on Sunday night.
A male patient in his sixties died as a result of the blaze, which was limited to his cubicle. There were no other injuries, but a few patients had to be treated for smoke inhalation while others required counselling.
Groote Schuur Hospital CEO Bhavna Patel says they are assisting police and fire services with their investigations. “The safety of our patients is our utmost concern and we will do whatever we can to ensure that our patients are safe and well taken care of. We also want to urge patients to behave responsibily when they come to the hospital to assist us in treating them.”
Fire and Rescue Services spokesperson‚ Theo Layne‚ said hospital staff had evacuated affected patients but one man in the ward had died on Sunday night. “The city’s fire and rescue services responded to Groote Schuur Hospital at about 10:30 last night where we had a fire in the ward G17‚” said Layne is quoted in a report in The Times as saying.
“As a result of that fire one adult male had sustained fatal burns. Damage to the ward was one bed and bedside table. The incident was handed over the South African Police Services for investigation‚” he said. “No other injuries were reported. The ward was evacuated prior to the arrival of the fire and rescue services.”