Tygerberg bedsore incident ‘under investigation’

Organisation: Position: Deadline Date: Location:

The [b]Western Cape Health Department[/b] has confirmed it’s investigating an incident at [b]Tygerberg Hospital[/b] after a patient, Daniel du Toit was admitted to the facility in mid-October and discharged last week with a massive bedsore. [s]Eyewitness News[/s] reports that his wife was admitted to Tygerberg two weeks ago and has also reportedly developed a bedsore. The department’s Helene Rossouw says the matter is being probed. The Du Toit’s son Jannie has laid a medical negligence complaint. He says he believes some nurses have been careless and have not performed their duties properly. [b]Action on Elder Abuse South Africa[/b] says it’s receiving an increasing number of complaints about hospital patients developing severe bedsores. The organisation says nurses have to be more vigilant with elderly patients.

Full Eyewitness News report

Receive Medical Brief's free weekly e-newsletter



Related Posts

Thank you for subscribing to MedicalBrief


MedicalBrief is Africa’s premier medical news and research weekly newsletter. MedicalBrief is published every Thursday and delivered free of charge by email to over 33 000 health professionals.

Please consider completing the form below. The information you supply is optional and will only be used to compile a demographic profile of our subscribers. Your personal details will never be shared with a third party.


Thank you for taking the time to complete the form.