Western Cape emergency services under sustained attack

Organisation: Position: Deadline Date: Location:

Western Cape emergency services remain under sustained criminal attack, with two incidents at the weekend.

Emergency medical crews are receiving counselling after being robbed while treating patients over the weekend in the Western Cape. The Times reports that paramedics were treating a patient in the back of an ambulance when robbers forced their way inside and stole their belongings in the southern Cape town of George on Saturday.

In a second incident on the same evening‚ emergency management services staff narrowly escaped when community members tried to get inside their ambulance at Site B in Khayelitsha‚ Cape Town. The crew managed to drive off with their patient.

EMS spokesperson Robert Daniels said both incidents were reported to the police. “Both crews were unharmed but are receiving counselling‚” he said. “In light of the recent jail sentence handed down after similar criminal attacks on EMS‚ we request members of the community to come forward with information so they can put a stop to these senseless attacks on emergency services‚” he said.

The report says Siphelo Manunga was sentenced to a 12-year prison term in October after being convicted of robbing EMS staff in Khayelitsha. The incident took place in December 2016 when an ambulance crew were helping an injured person. Three men robbed the crew of their cellphones.

Daniels said the weekend incidents did not occur in designated “red zones”. “Should an area be declared a red zone no EMS vehicle or staff will go into the area without a police escort‚ which will result in delayed response times and delayed emergency medical care in the area‚” he said.


Meanwhile, about 100 emergency medical services personnel made their way to Parliament last week to submit grievances relating to their safety and working conditions, while just 25km away the Western Cape Health Department announced that paramedics would be provided with panic buttons, says a Cape Times report. When the panic buttons are activated, ambulance dispatchers are alerted and the vehicle tracked, allowing information to be passed on to law enforcement agencies for quick action.

The report says headed by the Federation of Unions of South Africa (Fedusa) and supported by residents, train drivers and paramedics, those at Parliament demanded urgent participation of the military health personnel to accompany EMS in crime hot spots during the festive season.

The demands follow 60 attacks on paramedics in the province this year alone, and a record of more than 100 last year. The report says from January to October this year, 29 paramedics had taken stress leave following a spate of attacks. In the most recent incident, an eight-year-old boy died after armed robbers attacked the ambulance he was being transported in on the N2 alongside Nyanga.

In these incidents, paramedics were most likely to be robbed, threatened with a gun, assaulted or have their ambulance stoned, Fedusa secretary-general Dennis George said outside Parliament. “The presence of the military, the police and the reinstatement of the railway police will send out a clear signal of the government’s commitment to service delivery.” He said the urgent military participation would ensure “any efforts of violent attacks are diluted, while allowing EMS to render an improved and efficient service to the community, through further assistance by the military personnel”.

In the EMS control centre at the Tygerberg Hospital premises, Health MEC Nomafrench Mbombo said as part of the festive-season safety plan, a team of EMS personnel would be placed in the City of Cape Town’s Transport Management Centre to monitor the “red zones” and alert the ambulances when entering a crime hot spot. She is quoted in the report as saying that there had also been a greater engagement between the Health Department and anti-crime initiatives linked to CCTV footage.

“It is critical to get the right medical teams to the right place, quickly. When you’re providing emergency medical care to this many patients, efficiency is crucial, while also balancing the person-centred care approach and staff safety,” said Mbombo.

The report says those at Parliament demanded improvement in security when they are on duty. Public Servants Association of SA deputy secretary-general Tahir Maepa said it was always “impossible to serve the public when we are attacked”. “Calling for the army is an emergency,” he said.

United National Transport Union organiser Nkosinathi Benca said: “We want the robberies to come to an end. How can sufficient services be provided when there are lives at risk?” Department of Labour provincial chief inspector David Esau, who accepted the memorandum, said: “We are committed to working with them to solve these issues.”

The Times report
Cape Times report

Receive Medical Brief's free weekly e-newsletter

Related Posts

Thank you for subscribing to MedicalBrief

MedicalBrief is Africa’s premier medical news and research weekly newsletter. MedicalBrief is published every Thursday and delivered free of charge by email to over 33 000 health professionals.

Please consider completing the form below. The information you supply is optional and will only be used to compile a demographic profile of our subscribers. Your personal details will never be shared with a third party.

Thank you for taking the time to complete the form.