A Newcastle doctor, who was arrested last week at Madadeni Hospital and accused of sexually assaulting patients, will not only face the law in the Magistrate’s Court on Friday but also KwaZulu-Natal Health MEC Nomagugu Simelane, who will be there to support the women who had lodged the complaints, reports the Sunday Tribune.
The doctor was immediately placed on precautionary suspension by the Department of Health after a whistle-blower had alerted the police to the complaints from female patients, and before his arrest.
“Let me be clear: there is no place in any of our facilities for such conduct. Not behind closed doors, not in a consultation room, not in theatre. Nowhere. While these allegations are yet to be proven in court, the department has acted decisively and without delay,” said Simelane.
The doctor faces charges of sexually assaulting four patients between August 2025 and April 2026. One 29-year-old woman was allegedly violated over a six-month period, while other victims reported being inappropriately touched or forced to perform sexual acts during consultations.
Detectives from the Family Violence, Child Protection and Sexual Offences Unit said more charges might be added if other victims came forward.
Political pressure is also mounting. Dr Imran Keeka, chairperson of the KZN Health Portfolio Committee, confirmed that the CEO of Madadeni Hospital had been summoned to appear before the committee.
He said the committee would ensure there are no gaps between the criminal proceedings and the regulatory processes of professional medical bodies.
The Department of Health in KZN said it was co-operating fully with police, and internal disciplinary processes are currently running concurrently with the criminal case.
See more from MedicalBrief archives:
KZN doctor charged for sexual assaults on patients
Doctor’s sexual assault case postponed as more victims questioned
Bail reduced for US doctor accused by 180 patients of sexual abuse
