The family of Sadek Ebrahim, who died shortly after a video of maggots in his mouth went viral last year, are suing the KwaZulu-Natal Health Department for R11m, reports The Mercury. In a combined summons issued before the Durban High Court, Ebrahim’s son Azaad Ebrahim and Azaad’s wife, Edith Rajarruthinam, are suing RK Khan Hospital and the department for negligence. Papers were served through the family’s attorney, Theasen Pillay.
The report says last year, a video showing maggots crawling inside Ebrahim’s mouth went viral on social media.
According to the summons, the hospital failed to keep Ebrahim’s mouth clean so as to ensure that there was no infection or cause for bacteria, including maggots, to be present. The family believe that Ebrahim would have lived if the hospital acted timeously and with due diligence.
Officials at KZN Health have been given 30 days to respond as to whether they will be defending the case and will have to submit their plea to do so. Department spokesperson Noluthando Nkosi said; “As a matter of principle the department does not comment on matters that are pending before a court. When this matter first emerged the department took decisive, immediate and swift action and would like to leave it at that at this point.”Full report in The Mercury