HEALTH SYSTEMS TRUST
Systems Trust is an innovative non-profit organisation working to
ongoing development of comprehensive health systems in southern Africa.
Health Systems Research (HSR) Unit
Health Systems Trust (HST) wishes to appoint two (2) Lab Technicians for the Tuberculosis Reduction through Expanded Antiretroviral Treatment and Screening for Active TB (TREATS) study to be based in Cape Town.
The positions will be based in the following communities: Idas Valley and Cloetesville (Stellenbosch), Ikhwezi (Strand), Bloekombos (Kraaifontein), Wellington (Wellington), Delft South (Delft) and Dalevale (Paarl) to support a range of research activities.
This is a 12-month fixed-term contract position commencing January 2020.
- Receiving, processing and testing of sputum and blood samples in according with lab protocol and procedures
- General maintenance of equipment installed at Mobile Unit Lab
- Support installation, maintenance and servicing of the GeneXpert machine and other equipment installed in Mobile Unit Lab
- Running of the Mobile Unit Lab
- Ordering and stock-taking of medical supplies.
Qualifications and Experience
- Diploma in Medical Lab Technology
- Minimum 3 years’ experience of working in clinical/microbiology laboratory
- Community research or trial research experience would be advantageous
- Experience in GeneXpert testing in laboratory will be an advantage
- Knowledge of TB/HIV
- TB/HIV work within communities (advantageous)
- Knowledge of basic principles, practices and quality assurance procedures applicable to a clinical lab
- Strong computer skills, including familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite
- Good report writing skills
- Good communication skills
- Fluency in English, Afrikaans and/or isiXhosa
- A valid driver’s licence
- Willingness to travel to attend project-related trainings, meetings and events.
A salary package commensurate with the successful candidate’s experience and qualifications and in line with HST’s Job Grading System will be offered.
Interested applicants should forward a detailed CV, stating the position applied for, together with the names and contact details (telephone numbers and email addresses) of at least three contactable referees, to email@example.com.
- Shortlisted candidates will be requested to submit certified copies of all qualifications and identity documents.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Email users are requested to set the delivery option of their message on both “Return Receipt” and “Confirm Delivery”.
- Correspondence will be limited to shortlisted candidates.
- All shortlisted candidates will be subjected to reference and credential checks.
- If you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
- HST reserves the right to not fill this position.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 9 JANUARY 2020
HEALTH SYSTEMS TRUST PROMOTES EMPLOYMENT EQUITY.
People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.