Matriculant left quadriplegic after rugby injury wins claim 14 years later

Organisation: Position: Deadline Date: Location:

The Gauteng High Court has ruled that a then 18-year-old matriculant left a paraplegic after he was carried off the rugby field without a neck brace or stretcher 14 years ago, is entitled to damages.

According to a Pretoria News report, the matter involved a then 18-year-old matriculant left a paraplegic after he was carried off the field without a neck brace or stretcher.

Gauteng High Court (Pretoria) Acting Judge SA Thobane ruled that the North West Education Department, as well as the Leopards Rugby Union and Kosh Sports and Trauma Services, were liable to pay Izak Foster 100% of the multimillion-rand damages he could prove he had suffered.

The judge found that the two medics who carried Foster from the field after he had suffered an injury were negligent to do so without proper support. They simply carried him off with their hands, despite Foster’s pleas to leave him on the ground until they obtained a stretcher or something to support his back. The rugby match took place in May 2006 and was hosted by a school in Potchefstroom.

It emerged during the trial that one of the first aid attendants who carried Foster off the field was not registered with the SA Health Professions Council, as he should have been. The judge said the medics’ actions either contributed to or caused the harm.


Full Pretoria News report



Receive Medical Brief's free weekly e-newsletter

Related Posts

Thank you for subscribing to MedicalBrief

MedicalBrief is Africa’s premier medical news and research weekly newsletter. MedicalBrief is published every Thursday and delivered free of charge by email to over 33 000 health professionals.

Please consider completing the form below. The information you supply is optional and will only be used to compile a demographic profile of our subscribers. Your personal details will never be shared with a third party.

Thank you for taking the time to complete the form.