National Health Department DG Sandile Buthelezi has been cleared of all charges relating to the R150m Digital Vibes contract. Nearly three months after being suspended, Buthelezi has been reinstated, News24 reports. Buthelezi was suspended in September for his alleged role in the communications contract given to close associates of former Health Minister Zweli Mkhize, who resigned this year after being placed on special leave.
Buthelezi started working as the DG in June 2020, after the contract had been awarded. Department spokesperson Foster Mohale said: “He was placed on precautionary suspension to allow the investigation process to run smoothly and has subsequently undergone a disciplinary hearing process chaired by a retired judge. He was cleared of all charges levelled against him at the hearing process, hence his return to the office.”
Mohale said Buthelezi returned to work on Monday. Other officials still on suspension in relation to the Digital Vibes scandal are former Health Department Acting DG Anban Pillay, departmental spokesperson Popo Maja and three others.
See more from MedicalBrief archives: