Wednesday, 29 May, 2024
HomeWeekly RoundupMinisters reassure SA Cabinet that Ebola risk is low

Ministers reassure SA Cabinet that Ebola risk is low

International Relations and Cooperation Minister Naledi Pandor and Health Minister Zweli Mkhize both briefed the Cabinet last week about the outbreak, as well as the deaths caused by Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo and high risks posed to nearby countries. News24 reports that this is according to Minister in the Presidency Jackson Mthembu who said the Cabinet was also briefed on the state of readiness to deal with cases of Ebola that may arise in South Africa.

"Three separate risk assessments undertaken have confirmed the low risk Ebola profile status of South Africa. Critical health contingency measures have been implemented in our country including the designation of identified hospitals in all our provinces in the eventuality of us having to deal with Ebola. Apart from hospitals identified, the contingency measures include screening facilities in the ports of entry, communication and co-ordination as well as designated laboratories," Mthembu said.

"The Cabinet endorsed the contingency measures that have been put in place to ensure the country responds in the event the disease is picked up. We, nonetheless, want to assure the country that South Africa remains a low Ebola risk country."

[link url="https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/despite-low-risk-of-ebola-in-sa-plan-in-place-to-tackle-outbreak-20190809"]News24 report[/link]

MedicalBrief — our free weekly e-newsletter

We'd appreciate as much information as possible, however only an email address is required.