back to top
Wednesday, 18 February, 2026
HomeNews UpdateNelson Mandela Bay doctor accused of teen rape released on bail

Nelson Mandela Bay doctor accused of teen rape released on bail

A state-employed Nelson Mandela Bay doctor (56) charged with the rape of a teenager was granted bail of R5 000 on Friday in the Kariega Magistrate’s Court, on strict conditions, reports The Herald.

His legal representative, Andre Dorfling, said his client intended to plead not guilty.

Postponing the case to 26 March for further investigation, Magistrate Jason Thyse imposed strict conditions, which included that the doctor hand over his passport and report to the police station between 7am and 7pm every Sunday until the matter was finalised.

Delivering his judgment, Thyse said it had been submitted that the accused was married, and the sole breadwinner. He had seven children aged between 13 and 24.

He owned three properties – in Kariega, Centurion and Pretoria – and had worked as a medical doctor at the Gqeberha Hospital since 2018. He had graduated from the University of Nigeria in 2009, and had a private practice until he was employed by the Eastern Cape Department of Health in 2018.

He had no previous convictions, no pending cases and no warrants of arrest against him.

The investigating officer, Warrant Officer Mbulelo Grootboom, testified that the doctor had picked up the complainant and two other girls from a spot in Bayland before stopping off and buying two six packs of cider and takeaway pizza.

He then took the girls to his house, where they drank and ate, before he allegedly “made gestures indicating it was time to do the deed”.

He wanted to kiss her the complainant, who refused, but then she undressed and allegedly they had sexual intercourse.

Later, he drove the girls home, stopping en-route at an ATM and withdrawing money.

He allegedly gave R800 to the complainant, R200 to the girl believed to have been the “organiser” of the visit, and R500 to the other girl.

In considering bail, Thyse said the accused had presented himself to police and had an opportunity to flee during the days preceding his arrest.

“But I cannot ignore the fact that, in my view, at this stage of the proceedings, the respondent’s case appears to be subject to some doubt.

“I say this because the investigating officer is unable to say whether or not there was consent.”

Lured to his house

The man had been arrested the previous Sunday after a teenager from a local informal settlement alleged he lured her to his house and sexually assaulted her on 1 February.

The community, which held a protest march on the Monday, said the 17-year-old was not his only victim, and that she had been recruited by another girl in the neighbourhood, as “part of a group with a new ‘friend’ – an older man with money to buy them booze”, the teen’s mother said.

 

The Herald article – Nelson Mandela Bay doctor accused of raping minor granted R5,000 bail (Open access)

 

The Herald article – Rape-accused doctor could face more charges (Restricted access)

 

See more from MedicalBrief archives:

 

Nelson Mandela Bay doctor accused of raping teen

MedicalBrief — our free weekly e-newsletter

We'd appreciate as much information as possible, however only an email address is required.