The family of a teenager allegedly raped at Stellenbosch Hospital, where she is receiving psychiatric treatment, on Friday (October 1) called for the suspension of the hospital manager, security guard on duty and a nurse said to have witnessed the incident, pending an investigation, reports News24.
The girls had been admitted on 11 September after an attempted suicide and family spokesperson Bianca Booysen said they were demanding her transferral to an alternative facility at the health department's expense.
The teen was apparently raped by a patient in the toilets, and her mother said she was told about the incident only some time after it happened. First she was told it happened on 16 September, then she was told it took place on 23 September. She was only informed on 25 September, after her daughter had already been put on anti-retroviral medication, birth control, and had received the morning-after pill.
Western Cape Health MEC Nomafrench Mbombo on Thursday visited the hospital, reports IoL. Mbombo met with the minor’s family, while the hospital management has since apologised on behalf of Stellenbosch health workers.
“I was informed on Wednesday that a teenager who is a patient at the hospital was allegedly sexually assaulted by another patient. I asked for a report from the department which I received, hence the visit.”
On Friday, protestors outside the state facility handed a memorandum to a hospital representative. Sandra Maritz, spokesperson for the provincial health department's Cape Winelands District, confirmed receipt of the memorandum “noting the family's concern”.
She said the other patient had left the hospital on Friday 24 September, and that the incident was a police matter and the department would participate in and support the investigation. “An internal review of the matter and circumstances of the incident is under way,” according to News24.
See more from MedicalBrief archives: