WHO wants more funds to fight DRC Ebola epidemic

Organisation: Position: Deadline Date: Location:

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has appealed for an additional $40m so that it can continue fighting the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), says an IoL reprot. The WHO said its Ebola operation in eastern DRC’s conflict-ridden North Kivu and Ituri provinces was on financial life-support, adding that coffers would run dry at the end of February.

Under the Strategic Response Plan, WHO’s financial need for the Ebola response from January to June 2020 is $83m," said the organisation.

Thanks to the generosity of many donors during 2019, it had some carry-over funding that was used to maintain operations through February 2020. "$40m is currently needed to ensure continuity of response and preparedness activities to bring the case incidence to zero, and to continue building strong, resilient health systems.”

WHO spokesperson Tarik Jasarevic said failure to support the operation would be "tragic" as good progress had been made in containing the virus. The report says the continued reduction of cases of geographic spread and the declining trend in case incidence observed in the past 21 days was encouraging.

Full IoL report

Receive Medical Brief's free weekly e-newsletter



Related Posts

Thank you for subscribing to MedicalBrief


MedicalBrief is Africa’s premier medical news and research weekly newsletter. MedicalBrief is published every Thursday and delivered free of charge by email to over 33 000 health professionals.

Please consider completing the form below. The information you supply is optional and will only be used to compile a demographic profile of our subscribers. Your personal details will never be shared with a third party.


Thank you for taking the time to complete the form.