R300m for Life Esidimeni families

Organisation: Position: Deadline Date: Location:

A sum of R300m has been set aside for families affected by the Life Esidimeni tragedy who pass a verification process by the Master of the High Court, reports News24. The money is to be made available through the Gauteng premier’s office.

The report says this was announced by Gauteng Finance MEC Barbara Creecy when she presented her R132.4bn budget to the Gauteng provincial legislature for 2019/20 financial year.

Last month, Gauteng Premier David Makhura said families of at least 365 Life Esidimeni claimants had still not been compensated in line with Justice Dikgang Moseneke’s arbitration ruling. The report says he was replying to questions from Democratic Alliance (DA) MP Jack Bloom in the Gauteng legislature.

News24 report

Receive Medical Brief's free weekly e-newsletter



Related Posts

Thank you for subscribing to MedicalBrief


MedicalBrief is Africa’s premier medical news and research weekly newsletter. MedicalBrief is published every Thursday and delivered free of charge by email to over 33 000 health professionals.

Please consider completing the form below. The information you supply is optional and will only be used to compile a demographic profile of our subscribers. Your personal details will never be shared with a third party.


Thank you for taking the time to complete the form.