The Wellcome Centre for Infectious Diseases Research in Africa (CIDRI-Africa) based at the Institute of Infectious Diseases and Molecular Medicine (IDM) in the Faculty of Health Sciences at the University of Cape Town is a multidisciplinary infectious disease research centre, committed to the pursuit of excellence in research, treatment and prevention of HIV and TB in South Africa. We seek a highly motivated Senior Research Medical Officer to manage 3 studies and other pending studies being conducted by the group. This post is based at the clinical site in Khayelitsha with academic responsibilities as required.
The successful candidate will work closely with study team, the PIs and co-investigators on the team. The primary responsibilities will be to recruit patients to the studies, assess and manage trial participants in both a inpatient and outpatient setting, perform study procedures, collect clinical data, assist with data management, engage with safety reporting, and play a key role in the administration and functioning of the clinical trial team. It will also require that the candidate represent the PI on ongoing inpatients studies. The majority of time will be spent at trial sites. There will also be opportunity to work with the well-established research team at CIDRI-Africa at the University of Cape Town and to define a personal research niche. The postholder will also be registered with SAHPRA as a contributor to clinical sponsor directed studies
Current studies are:
PETCT MDR Household contact study
PREDICT TB study
Intense-TBM (Inpatient Study)
It is also intended to begin recruitment to a phase II trial of a novel tuberculosis vaccine in HIV-1 infected persons during the first quarter of 2021
- MBChB degree
- Registration with the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA) as an independent medical practitioner
- Currently valid work permit for South Africa if non-South African
- 2-3 year of Clinical Research experience
- 2 years of General Internal Medicine experience over and above Clinical Research
- Valid Driver’s license
- Own Malpractice insurance
- FCP(SA) or equivalent specialisation
- Clinical Speciality
- Ability to communicate in isiXhosa
- Experience in writing reports and analyzing data
- Current accredited Basic Life Support(BLS) /Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certificate
- SAHPRA registration on previous Clinical Trial
- Current Good Clinical Practice (GCP) Certificate
- Track record of successfully working in a multidisciplinary clinical team
- Willingness to travel to Eastern Cape
- Knowledge of the health care systems in South Africa
- Supervision of trial progress, recruitment and follow-up of study participants, clinical assessment and management of participants including practical study procedures
- Design of all relevant study documentation according to study standard operating procedures to required standard of GCP
- Overseeing of data management and input ntoanlysing of data
- Reporting of adverse events to sponsor, ethics committee and regulatory authorities with strict adherence to guidelines, Completion of all relevant study documentation
- Lead study administration including writing of documents and communication, and development or revision of study standard operating procedures (SOPs) as needed.
- Liaison with data management team and maintenance of effective communication with the study team and other collaborators.
- Liaise closely and maintain effective communication with the study monitors and trial sponsors.
- Support, management, supervision and teaching of clinical research staff as required by the project.
- Attend study and academic meetings and training as required
- Presentation of research findings at meetings at the clinical research sites and IDM
The appointment will be on UCT Academic Clinical conditions of service. The annual cost of employment, including benefits will be based on the University’s clinical pay line which is aligned to OSD rates.
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Ms Vathiswa Mbangi at email@example.com
- UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc)
- Cover letter that speaks to the specific requirements of the position, and
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
An application which does not comply with the above requirements, will be regarded as incomplete.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Telephone: 021 650 3003 Website: www.cidri.uct.ac.za
Reference number: E210202 Closing date: 21 June 2021
UCT is a designated employer and is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets in accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets. Preference will be given to candidates from the under-represented designated groups. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at www.hr.uct.ac.za/hr/policies/employ_equity
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.