WHO investigating reports that COVID-19 emerged earlier than previously thought

Organisation: Position: Deadline Date: Location:

The World Health Organisation has announced that a report that COVID-19 had emerged in December in France, sooner than previously thought, was “not surprising”, and urged countries to investigate any other early suspicious cases, reports NBC News. The disease later identified as COVID-19 was first reported by Chinese authorities to the WHO on 31 December and was not previously believed to have spread to Europe until January. “This gives a whole new picture on everything,” WHO spokesperson Christian Lindmeier is quoted in the report as saying.

“The findings help to better understand the potential virus circulation of COVID-19,” he added, saying other earlier cases could emerge after retesting samples.

A French hospital which retested old samples from pneumonia patients discovered that it treated a man who had COVID-19 as early as 27 December, nearly a month before the French government confirmed its first cases.

The report says there is not currently any suggestion that the virus emerged from anywhere other than Wuhan, China. It is thought that, instead, the French case was somehow connected to a person who travelled from there in December before the virus had been identified or reported by China, the WHO spokesperson said. However, the French patient, a fishmonger, is not thought to have a direct link to China or a history of recent travel and experts say the French case requires more investigation.

Lindmeier encouraged other countries to check records for pneumonia cases of unspecified origin in late 2019, since this would give a “new and clearer picture” of the outbreak. Asked about the origins of the virus in China, Lindmeier stressed that it was “really, really important” to explore this.

The report quotes US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo as saying that his country has evidence that the new coronavirus emerged from a laboratory in Wuhan, although scientists have advised the WHO that it is of animal origin.

“That may need further missions or a mission (to China) so we are looking forward to this,” Lindmeier said. The WHO’s top emergencies expert, Dr Mike Ryan, said that the body’s chief had raised the issue of the origins of the virus “at the highest level” during a WHO mission to China in January.

Full NBC News report

Receive Medical Brief's free weekly e-newsletter



Related Posts

Thank you for subscribing to MedicalBrief


MedicalBrief is Africa’s premier medical news and research weekly newsletter. MedicalBrief is published every Thursday and delivered free of charge by email to over 33 000 health professionals.

Please consider completing the form below. The information you supply is optional and will only be used to compile a demographic profile of our subscribers. Your personal details will never be shared with a third party.


Thank you for taking the time to complete the form.