Thursday, 28 October, 2021
HomeNews UpdateDRC president responds to damning WHO report about sex-for-job scandal

DRC president responds to damning WHO report about sex-for-job scandal

DRC President Felix Tshisekedi wants “frank” co-operation in a probe of allegations of rape and sexual abuse by WHO workers sent to fight Ebola in the country. This follows last week’s damning report that found “clear structural failures’” and “individual negligence” among the UN agency's staff after dozens of women told investigators they were offered work in exchange for sex, or were victims of rape.

The report centred on accusations against local and international personnel deployed in the country to fight an Ebola outbreak from 2018 to 2020. A report on the EWN site notes that the special commission identified 83 suspects, including 21 employed by the WHO. Government spokesperson Patrick Muyaya said Tshisekedi “expressed his indignation (and) condemned these despicable acts”. At the same time, he hailed the WHO for having publicly condemned the crimes. WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has apologised to the victims and vowed to hold those responsible to account.

 

EWN article – DRC LEADER WANTS 'FRANK' COOPERATION IN WHO SEX ABUSE PROBE (Open access)

 

See more from MedicalBrief archives:

 

WHO staff in DRC offered women jobs in exchange for sex

 

MSF: Sexual violence, murder, looting and mass displacement in the DRC

 

 

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Receive Medical Brief's free weekly e-newsletter.

* indicates required