The World Health Organization (WHO) has revealed part of its revamped policy to hold staff accountable as well as prevent cases of sexual abuse. The UN agency has come under fire since the release of a report implicating some of its workers in sexual abuse cases in the DRC.
Deutsche Welle reports that it said the plan, shared with major donor countries last week for their feedback, outlines immediate, medium and longer-term actions to address “the failures identified in the independent commission report”. It involves sending experts who are versed in both preventing sexual abuse and the culture of the country where they are being deployed. The countries include Ethiopia, Nigeria, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan and Venezuela. “The expert will brief WHO employees and partners on how to prevent any inappropriate or abusive behaviour," the statement said.
WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus revealed the draft response plan to member states on Thursday for their feedback, and the final version will be published in the coming days, the WHO said in a statement.
See more from MedicalBrief archives: